How to prepare for the challenge?
Participants are advised that the competition is expected to be very tough. Please prepare adequately and do your research well. Organise your thoughts as early as possible, and focus on SOLUTIONS THAT CAN BE IMPLEMENTED in any African institution.
Some of the challenges that we expect contestants to find solutions to, will include:
• What is/should be the role of universities in the digital, globally-connected era?
• What are some of the effective teaching and assessment/examination methodologies and activities that can be adopted to ensure engaged, motivated and inspiring learning for modern-day students?
• How can universities better equip learners with both the technical as well as soft skills (competences, attitudes and behaviours) required in the “world-of-work” today and in the future?
• How can learning spaces (classes, labs, gardens, home, etc) be designed differently to facilitate engaged, motivated and transformative learning?
• How can we better utilise technology to facilitate engaged and motivated learning that plays to the passions and interests of learners in the digital era?
• What organisational capabilities are required in universities to facilitate transformative learning?
Remember that beyond the fun and experience of the Hackathon, there will be very exciting prizes and amazing opportunities for mentorship, possible internships/employment, among others so Prepare, Prepare, Prepare!
Why is it important to find a solution to this challenge?
We cannot allow African youth to continue to be disenfranchised by the current system of education. Their jobs are at risk, their opportunities are at risk, their future is at risk!
What is the expected outcome of this challenge?
Riara University commits to pilot the solutions proposed under this challenge, to continue to engage the innovators as appropriate, and to provide an empowering environment for the innovations to thrive and prosper. This is expected to result in a superior learning experience structure, which can be replicated across other institutions for the empowerment of the youth of Africa.