We want food and computer science students, along with mentors from education, academia and industry, to combine their knowledge and area of expertise to develop a concept for a digital education solution to engage young people with food.Read more about Can we develop a digital education solution to encourage young people to value food?
An app to help young adults reduce their food waste
An app that can be used by young adults to reduce their food waste by: calculating the amount of food they need to buy, helping preserve the shelf life of certain products, encourage donations to food banks where appropriate.
Food Saviours: Postgraduate food students / Dynamic JJD: Computer science students
This is a combined solution from food students and computer science students.
An app to help young adults manage their food waste. This will include:
- Educating them on correct food storage and preservation techniques
- Recipes to use whole ingredients (including skin, stalks etc.) and videos
- Calculator to work out how much food to buy based on personal needs
- Map of food banks and reward scheme
- Quiz game
Benefits include saving money, better nutrition from using whole ingredients, helping people who can’t afford food by donating to food banks
WE ARE TRYING TO HELP AND EDUCATE PEOPLE ON THE ISSUE OF FOOD WASTE WHICH IS GETTING BIGGER EVERY DAY.
Solution target group
18-30 young adults, who may be living independently for the first time.
FOOD DONATIONS WILL TAKE PLACE, SO THE IMOACT CAN BE MEASURED QUANTITATIVELY AS WELL AS THE CALCULATOR WITHIN THE APP WHICH IS GONNA GIVE US INSIGHTFUL DATA. Hopefully to reduce food waste. Using leaderboard system when dragging items from fridge into food bank or trash.
Solution tweet textLiving independently for the first time, find yourself throwing away most of your food? Download #FoodSaviours to find easy ways to reduce your waste!
WELL ONE FEATURE IS THE CALCULATOR WHICH HELPS YOU ESTABLISH THE QUANTITY OF FOOD THAT YOU NEED TO BUY. THIS SPECIFIC FEATURE WILL HELP PEOPLE BUY SMARTLY AND NOT OVER SPEND ON FOOD AND OVERBUY.
Some of the features could be used in conjunction with other apps like my fitness pal.
Hopefully grow in long term leading to impact on food waste and encourage companies to invest.
RAISE AWARNESS AND MARKET THE APP SPECIALLY IN HIGHSCHOOLS AND UNIVERSITIES.
Solution team work
Team Food Saviours: COULD HAVE BEEN MORE EFFICIENT. SOME CHANGES CAN BE DONE
Team Dynamic JJD: We worked very well in a group and could continue to
* Climate-KIC publishes the proposed solutions developed during the DigiEduHack event solely for the purposes of facilitating public access to the information concerning ideas and shall not be liable regarding any intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to pertain to the implementation or use any of the proposed solutions shared on its website neither does it represent that it has made any effort to identify any such rights. Climate-KIC cannot guarantee that the text of the proposed solution is an exact reproduction of the proposed solution. This database is general in character and where you want to use and develop a proposed solution further, this is permitted provided that you acknowledge the source and the team which worked on the solution by using the team’s name indicated on the website.