Interactive virtual field trip
Drones and Satellite images will be the solution key
Implementation of a traditional field trip has become extremely exhausted to achieve all aspects of the field trip. Hence, it is the due time to have a big step to maximize the data that can be obtained from virtual technologies especially, remote control drones and satellite images.
Team: VISION TEAM
Team membersMohamed Abdelhadi Badawi, Moataz M.Gomaa,Emad N.Masri
Members roles and background
Our team consists of three members each one has a rule depending on his scientific background, Moataz's rule is how can we integrate between the results from the imaging satellite and the geophysical data interpretation. to perform a 3d model, Mohamed's rule is to get a suitable satellite image with good accuracy and exact coordinates to project on the surface area that acquired from the drone device as well as use the RGB transformation to get an accurate rock classification. Emad's rule is a team leader, working on the Geoscience Data Management, making the visualization for the solution of DIGI EDU HACK, with some Illustrated motion graphic helping to fit with Knowledge of Geoscience Data Types, Databases Geophysical Data Models, Project Structure, Onboard Data Quality Control, Data Processing, Data Analysis, Modelling, Knowledge Management Technical Report Writing, and implementation of procedures and best practices following knowledge management processes.
- The fieldwork comprises two main parts, the general exploration and detailed field investigation. The general exploration basically needs ease accessibility and short time. Therefore, an integration between the 360 camera and drones would be appropriate, that can help us to get an interactive image with a general view of the study area leading us to analyze the geological features. After that, the detailed fieldwork such as geological structures and stratigraphy features delineations can be detected with fixed coordinates that give us the information about regional and local features e.g. stratigraphic successions, and structure lineaments….etc. Also, remote sensing can be used extensively in various applications, especially tracing of Gold deposits via Landsat 8 or Aster sheets (30 &15 m2 resolution) respectively, which can be processed by Envi and ArcGIS software. Moreover, this image will be analyzed and visualized into new software that can provide the description and notes about the area to be explored globally by any person.
- Without a doubt, we can control drones to acquire a perfect map view or cross-section view for the exposed rock units.
- We can measure the solution by the qualitative and quantitative of the information the applicant can get, also the Image quality, processing and how these data are accessible.
-The owner of the challenge will save money e.g. travelling fees, the time besides that, he can get the accessibility anytime and anywhere.
- Communication with the programmer who response to connect the new software with the live image of drones
-The analysis and description need to an expert in regional and local geology of the study area, basically, that means teamwork with a high quality of experience.
-The software needs to be tested by professors and students to evaluate how it can be practically beneficial.
-Accessibility to the filed anytime
-This would open doors for online version tools such as compass ... etc
-Avoid the field trip problems e.g. field camping and the injuries.
- imagine how this can give a more realistic overview of the study area before field investigations if it is necessary.
Solution target group
Young geoscientist, Explorers and Archaeologist
Our solution will probably enhance the feasibility of organizing a field trip particularly reaching to distal and not accessible areas. We can measure this impact by the increasing of the database covering by using our method and the number of details the can be acquired.
Solution tweet textYou can ignore all field trips difficulties by visiting all the studied areas from your study room. Furthermore, practice your field work using the interactive tools, in addition, linking your practical work with various visualization techniques like satellite images.
- The integration between the live vision of the field and the practical work can be considered unique and give the complete advantages to the young researchers. However, it is not similar because it is a new interactive software.
- This can be used in several issues especially for environmental disasters where rescue forces who deal with any abnormal situation remotely without the risk of human.
Development the software to make it more accessible and friendly use
Solution team work
Interactive virtual field trip required a team, together everyone achieves more also we have the principles needed to target the geological features, satellite image analysis, geophysical analysis and interpretation; however, we still need a programmer to convert our vision into a prototype program, "vision team" we can work on that project in the future and integrate the idea's between geological and geophysical background.
* Climate-KIC publishes the proposed solutions developed during the DigiEduHack event solely for the purposes of facilitating public access to the information concerning ideas and shall not be liable regarding any intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to pertain to the implementation or use any of the proposed solutions shared on its website neither does it represent that it has made any effort to identify any such rights. Climate-KIC cannot guarantee that the text of the proposed solution is an exact reproduction of the proposed solution. This database is general in character and where you want to use and develop a proposed solution further, this is permitted provided that you acknowledge the source and the team which worked on the solution by using the team’s name indicated on the website.