Promoting foreign language learning through audio and video technology.
learners are hesitant to talk to others especially, native ones
Learning a foreign language is so difficult because we struggle to switch between different language structures, learning how to think in another language takes time and a lot of practice But ,if learners can use video to practice , they will have a great achievement and will overcome their fears
Team membersBisal Sharaf , Ying
Members roles and background
We are a SYS team consisting of Bisal from Palestine, a teacher in a government school and a social activist, Wing from China, Korean language teacher .
Bisal chose the team's name from the initial letters of the names of her three sons
We got to know each other through this challenge and formulated the solution that we addressed shortly .Very grateful to know her and very grateful to participate in this event
I , Ying ,benefited a lot from Bisal Sharaf, as she had tried this method and found its efficacy and great impact on the learners, despite her young age, but she was wonderful . We carry a slogan that learning has no borders, especially learning a second language.
As a teacher, I noticed students` fear of learning second language ,so the solution is giving them the opportunity to express their ideas
, dreams and hopes using the second language where
1. We agree remotely on the topic to be talked about. "students have the opportunity to choose the topic they want to talk about through a group of discussions or by watching a specific video and asking them to make a presentation , for example , for the idea of the film or event they`ve watched …… "
- After choosing the topic that we will talk about , we make a session on Google meet or Zoom program
so that learners can brainstorm their ideas , help them arrange ideas they have , decide how to approach the topic . "The students were free to choose a format for their video. For example, they could make a short movie, a talk show, a documentary or a promotional video. Since the linguistic aspect was the most important part of the video project, the instructor advised the students to include conversations or ‘role plays’ that involved each and every group member. When acting in front of the camera, the students were required to speak fluently, use the correct pronunciation, and be comprehensible to their audience. They can work on their ideas through groups or individuals
, each according to their desire ."
- Then give them the opportunity to order their ideas and express
what they want in proportion to their time .
- After producing the material of the video of their work " The initial form ", They`ve sent their videos to me to check it .
5. Identifying the intended audience. " The audience consists of second language virtual classroom classmate . The teacher also suggested the possibility of uploading the produced videos. We can upload them to YouTube, provided that all group members involved in the production of the video agree. This should be mentioned here that all the videos were creative, entertaining and fun to watch, so the students agreed that the videos produced should not be an "end product" but rather deserved international exposure. The World Wide Web acted as a potential audience - which did not mean a trick by the instructor - motivating students to strive for the best outcome.
We have a Facebook "Let's Learn" platform, where the videos produced are posted .
- Deciding on the video presentation mode . " During discussions with the students, it was decided that the videos would be presented as a ‘movie show’ in the class so that everyone could see the other groups’ achievements. The instructor believed that this would motivate the students to be creative and produce a better video. Each presentation was to begin or end with a short introduction where the group members would tell their classmates why they had decided to participate in the video project, what challenges and difficulties they had encountered while making the videos, and so forth. A notebook computer, speakers, and aLCD projector were set up in the classroom for the video presentations."
- Evaluating the video projects . "The instructor informed the students which parameters of the videos would be evaluated. Considering the subject matter, the most important parameter was language use as reflected in the proper use of grammatical structures and vocabulary in the dialogues and narratives. Other aspects to be evaluated were video content, including the selection of topics from the course synopsis and the logical sequence in which they were woven into the storyline, creativity as demonstrated in the development of the storyline, and team work. Setting the parameters for the project evaluation is important because this would nudge the students towards achieving the desirable learning outcomes. Formative assessment was adopted as a method of evaluation. The assessment included the quality of the ‘end product’ (i.e. the video itself), the teacher’s informal observations of the students’ work, and the feedback received from the group members."
- In the end, we can make a simple virtual celebration for all participants and give them gold or silver badges according to the most interactive or according to the audience's vote (we can use various methods to reward them )
Learners ’shyness and their unwillingness to face the public. The solution was to encourage them to send their own recorded videos or audio clips, and because of my experience with montage, I put the appropriate video for the sent audio , so step by step they can overcome their shyness and fears.
Wrong combination or incorrectly pronounced words. The solution was to check syntax and pronunciation before publishing the work produced
Weak technical capabilities in Palestine, both from poor internet and power cuts. I recorded interviews so they could watch it in any time
Solution target group
The target group is all second language learners, whether they are of high capabilities or those with limited capabilities that need support and development, and the tasks are distributed according to their level . For example, the learner with high abilities is asked to produce a video with a longer duration and on a multi-directional topic, and the learner with limited capabilities may implement simple, fun and exciting talk show video that makes sense of progress and achievement
The success can be measured by the student's practical output. Using a questionnaire, they will be asked whether they have improved their confidence and interest in learning a foreign language by recording a video. Or use the examination way, carry on their study result to measure. They can also be interviewed about how they feel about this method of learning a foreign language. After analyzing the results, they feed back into the solution itself, and we can adjust the the solution based on the student's experience.
First ,through recording video, learners can understand their own pronunciation deficiencies, and then after professional guidance from teachers . They can improve their pronunciation problems. Second, learners can present their learning outcomes to more people, and receive both more feedback and more attention and encouragement. Finally, learners can stimulate their interest in learning in this way and continue to learn with more confidence.
Solution tweet textDo you want to be creative learner , stimulate real life situations ,have unique insights into different cultures, a change in the predictable routine of the classroom, have a sense of fun and excitement ?Join in our courses to overcome your shyness . Let`s begin your new life .
The exchange of experiences among partners to develop methods and tools of teaching, learning , thinking , logical reasoning and creative thinking for increasing universal students' competences useful on the labor market and accepted in different countries . This is what we seek in our project, which is to develop the learner to the extent that he is able to use the second language fluently, smoothly, and easily without any complications, and to be free from his own restrictions, whether the restrictions of the place or the internal restrictions in him e.g shame or control of the mother language.
we think that when the learner becomes daring to film himself while speaking in a second language, he may not have mastered it yet, this will greatly develop his personality and increase his self-confidence, abilities and capabilities, and he will be able to express his opinion in various different fields and in various issues, whether in his mother tongue or in the second language We can transfer this experience to various other fields.
I believe that our project can be developed in the future through collective action and through the implementation of a specific mechanism or networking between the State of Palestine and another country has enough experience in practicing creative teachers to encourage second language learners to speak fluently and masterfully, and we may transfer the experience by holding training courses for those who wish to speak the Arabic language in foreign countries and to hold also courses for those who want to learn any foreign language in Palestine.
Solution team work
I think that teamwork is a wonderful and exciting experience, especially dealing with my new friend Ying from China. We have won the knowledge of new educated people and we are convinced that we are able to change . We carry a slogan that learning has no limits, especially learning a second language.We are a SYS team consisting of Bisal from Palestine, a teacher in a government school, Wing from China, a teacher of the Korean language. We got to know each other through this challenge and formulated the solution .We hope to continue working with each other in the near future by collective mechanism that connects the two countries.
* Climate-KIC publishes the proposed solutions developed during the DigiEduHack event solely for the purposes of facilitating public access to the information concerning ideas and shall not be liable regarding any intellectual property or other rights that might be claimed to pertain to the implementation or use any of the proposed solutions shared on its website neither does it represent that it has made any effort to identify any such rights. Climate-KIC cannot guarantee that the text of the proposed solution is an exact reproduction of the proposed solution. This database is general in character and where you want to use and develop a proposed solution further, this is permitted provided that you acknowledge the source and the team which worked on the solution by using the team’s name indicated on the website.